What this is all about...

It all started with a "little" book called 1001 Wines You Must Taste Before You Die. I asked a few girlfriends if they would be interested in working through the book with me. I mean, 1001 wines, by myself? Thought that would seem a little selfish. Fortunately, I have some of the greatest friends in the world and they have willingly agreed to take the plunge with me. We have gone a little "off book" but I haven't heard a complaint yet.

As we continue with these tastings, I hope to share not only the wines and what we thought of them, but also the food we paired with the wine and recipes as needed. Food can make or break a wine and our tastings have borne that out. I want to share that information and help break the "mystique" of wine.

We are expanding our wine knowledge and narrowing our choices at the same time. The real time goal is for all of us to find a few varietals (that is what the different grapes are called) that we like and then find the lowest, consistently good price point for those varietals. You do NOT have to spend a lot of money to drink really good wine!!!

13 tastings down, 100s still to go. So grab a glass, pop a cork, and join us!

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

California Reds - February 2013




I am a bit of a snob when it comes to California wine.  By that I mean, I assume I will not like it if it is from California with rare exception.  I take issue with the fact that California thinks itself so great that I can't send Virginia wines to my MIL who lives in Cali.  I take issue with the fact that most of the wines that California thinks are so great are mediocre to me.  I would rather have a Argentinian Malbec than a Cali Cab. Sauv. or a Spanish Tempranillo over a Cali Merlot.  The "California" Pinot Noir that I enjoy is from Chile (Pepperwood Grove).  I am so jaded that I was tickled to death (almost couldn't drive) when I saw the following bumper sticker on a car:

virginia wine

A little harsh, maybe, but really, really funny (at least to me).  So, I was not looking forward to this tasting AT ALL.  But, I am always up for trying new wines, so .....


First up is a California Pinot Noir.  This was $7.99 at Wegmans and was drinkable if you don't love Washington and Oregon Pinot Noir.  Compared to the standard for the grape, it was thin and lacked "umph." (yes, that is the technical term).


Next, we have 3 Blind Moose Merlot (chosen specifically for one of our members).  I don't like Merlot.  It is probably part of my problem with California Reds.  That said, this was entirely drinkable and, at $7.49 at Wegmans, very easily doable.  This one goes on the list for my Dad.


We followed up with an Old Vine Zinfandel from Plungerhead (what a name!).  For all you Zin fans, this one was not bad.  At $11.99 at Wegmans, this is pretty decent Old Vine Zin.  It was much enjoyed by many and I loved the deep color it had.  Nice earthy aroma too.


Have to throw in a Cabernet Sauvignon.  This one, from Louis M. Martini in Sonoma County, was only $10.89 at Wegmans.  It was a Cali Cab Sauv. and everything that one expects from that.


On to blends!  Snap Dragon makes a lovely blend of reds (and they have a cool label too).  This 2009 blend was $7.49 at Wegmans.  As far as blends go, this was more middle of the road in dryness and body.


Coppola, as in Francis Ford, has produced a Rosso for many years.  This was our first time trying the 2011 and while we have enjoyed the Rosso in the past, this was a little young.  I would suggest laying it down for a year and letting it mellow a little and at only $8.49 at bottle, it isn't a big risk to take.



So, what did we learn?  I still don't like Cali Reds but I know lots of people who do.  I think we need to break California down by region so that we can decide which regions we like and which we don't (kind of like the rest of the wine world).  I will buy some of the Rosso and see how it is in a year and maybe a bottle of 3 Blind Moose for my Dad, but other than that, I wouldn't repeat any of these.

Cheers,
Kitti

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate constructive feedback.